calender_icon.png 31 August, 2025 | 2:21 PM

AP attracts Rs.12,000 cr in tourism sector

31-08-2025 12:00:00 AM

Andhra Pradesh Minister for Tourism, Culture and Cinematography Kandula Durgesh on Saturday announced that the state has attracted nearly Rs.12,000 crore worth of investments in the tourism sector within a year, laying the foundation for a series of projects aimed at positioning Andhra Pradesh as a leading tourist destination.

The Minister inaugurated the modernised Haritha Hotel (Yatrinivas) near Appughar in MVP Colony, Visakhapatnam, developed at a cost of Rs.13.5 crore with upgraded facilities including 41 rooms, a bar and restaurant, meeting halls, and executive suites. Speaking at the launch, Durgesh said the upgraded facility would serve as a major attraction along the city’s beachfront and provide tourists with improved accommodation comparable to resort standards.

Earlier in the day, Durgesh also inaugurated a Tourism CRO counter near RK Beach, which will facilitate ticket bookings for the Hop-On Hop-Off double-decker buses running between RK Beach and Thotlakonda. The buses, formally launched by Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu, will cover 14 tourist points with a day-long pass priced at Rs.250 for adults and Rs.100 for children. The Minister further unveiled the brochure of the upcoming Visakhapatnam Food Festival – 2025, scheduled to be held from September 5 to 7.

Highlighting the government’s broader vision, Durgesh said the state was focusing on creating tourism hubs and circuits by linking prominent destinations and modernising existing resorts under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model. “We are inviting private investors to establish hotels and resorts. Already, reputed groups like Oberoi, Mayfair and IRCTC have signed MoUs. Our aim is to ensure tourists spend at least two to three days at our destinations,” the Minister said.

He added that plans are underway to improve accommodation facilities across all Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (APTDC) properties and resorts to meet modern standards.

Durgesh inspected the ongoing modernisation works at Tyda and Jungle Bells eco-resorts, noting that the facilities had deteriorated due to neglect during the previous government’s tenure. He revealed that Chief Minister Naidu had formed a sub-committee with officials from Forest, Tourism, Endowments, and Water Resources departments to resolve inter-departmental issues and expedite development.

“We are prioritising both safety and modern facilities for tourists. With better coordination now, the modernisation of Tyda and Jungle Bells is progressing at a rapid pace,” he said.