19-08-2025 12:00:00 AM
US special envoy Tom Barrack meets with Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) in Beirut
AP Beirut
The US special envoy to Lebanon said on Monday that his team would discuss the long-term cessation of hostilities with Israel, after Beirut endorsed a US-backed plan for the Hezbollah militant group to disarm. Tom Barrack, following a meeting with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, also said Washington would seek an economic proposal for post-war reconstruction in the country, after months of shuttle diplomacy between the US and Lebanon.
Barrack is also set to meet with Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and Speaker Nabih Berri, who often negotiates on behalf of Hezbollah with Washington. "I think the Lebanese government has done their part. They've taken the first step," said Barrack, who is also the US ambassador to Turkiye. "Now what we need is for Israel to comply with that equal handshake."
Lebanon's decision last week to support a plan to disarm Hezbollah angered the Iran-backed group and its allies, who believe Israel's military should first withdraw from the five hilltops it has occupied in southern Lebanon since the end of its 14-month war with Hezbollah last November and stop launching almost daily airstrikes in the country.