calender_icon.png 20 May, 2026 | 12:00 AM

Tehran seeks damages & US troop withdrawal

20-05-2026 12:00:00 AM

Agencies DUBAI 

Tehran's latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the withdrawal of U.S. forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the U.S.-Israeli war, state media reported on Tuesday.

In Tehran's first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Iran also sought the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds, and an end to the U.S. naval blockade on the country, according to the IRNA news agency.

The terms described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran's previous offer, which U.S. President Donald Trump rejected last week as "garbage."

However, Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned resumption of attacks on Iran after Tehran sent the new proposal to Washington, adding there was now a "very good chance" of reaching a deal to limit Iran's nuclear program.

Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz—a vital supply route for global oil and other commodities—Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close, while simultaneously threatening heavy strikes if Tehran fails to reach an agreement.

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.

The sides "keep changing their goalposts," the Pakistani source said, adding, "We don't have much time."

Although neither side has publicly disclosed any concessions in negotiations that have been stalled for a month, a senior Iranian official suggested on Monday that Washington may be softening some of its demands.

The source said the U.S. had agreed to release a quarter of Iran's frozen funds—totaling tens of billions of dollars—held in foreign banks. Iran is demanding the release of all assets.